Oct 13, 2006

☆SLEEPOVERS☆


This week I chose this book. The title of it is Sleepovers. The author of this book is Jacqueline Wilson and I heard she is famous as a author of children's literature in UK. I didn't know her at all, but I found illustrations of this book are lovely. Also, I like book for girls, I chose this.

In this story, there are 5 girls whose names are Amy, Bella, Chole, Emily and Daisy. Daisy is a main character. She is a little bit shy and quiet. These girls are all her friends at school. However, Amy and Bella were best friends, and also Chole and Emily was best friends. That's why Daisy was caring about that. They are nice, but Chole is mean girl. Espacially very mean to Daisy because she was new student at their school and she joined them later. That's why Daisy wanted to cut relationship with Chole and wanted to be a best friend of Emily who Daisy liked the best of all.

One day they suggested that everyone have sleepover party at their hoem in their birthday. Of course it sounds fun for everyone, but for Daisy, it wan't. Daisy has older sister whose name is Lily. She had something wrong with her brain when she was born, so she can't walk and speak naturally. Sometimes she cries and screams, so Daisy didn't want them to know about her though she loved her sister. After everyone's oversleep Parties was held, Daisty decides to hold it and invite all of 5 girls. On her birthday, Amy, Bella and Emily came home early and they met Lily, but they didn't say anything bad about Lily. Daisy thought they are very good girls. Later, Chole came home too, but al that time Lily was sleeping. So, Chole didn't meet Lily. Late at night of the day, Chole woke Daisy up to go to restroom. It was dark and they were scared. Suddenly Lily began to scream by hearing their footsteps. Chole thought it must be ghost and she wet herself! The next morning, Chole wasn't at Daisy's home anymore. She had gone back home already. At school, Chole said bad things about Daisy's party, so they complained and told her about her wetting there. Then, she got red and told them that they are not her frined anymore. So, finally Daisy becomes happy and also the other girls become too.


I remembered a lot of memories when I was at elementary school and junior high when I was reading this book. Girl's world was very complicated and hard for me too. Also there were some girls like Chole in class or groups, so I sympathized with them, especially with Daisy. Daisy had quite weak personality at first, but she changed a lot through their conflict and became strong. She grew up. The ending seems to be happy ending for them. I felt happy because Chole was bad girl. However, I think they should have talked more. So all of them might be good friends. It sounds difficult but it's not impossible. Also, for readers who are young, this story should have been like that, I think. Anyway, I enjoyed this book a lot. I want to read this author's book again.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I haven't read this book yet, but I like Jacqueline Wilson's other books, such as Vicky Angel.

Yu Kato said...

I'm glad that you like her books as well! I want to read Vicky Angel later. I hope I'll have a chance to write about the book on this blog^^